ice789, RP501 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

The General

• 2000+ posts MEMBER!!
  • The gambler's fallacy is alive and well.
  • Rated: +124
Joy can you solve this old task :)? It will open your eyes
It is a very old task. Two players decided to play dice game . They both throw dice and one wait dor sequence 6-6-6 , but another wait for exactly 4-5-6.
They do throws in order who will collect his sequence first - win.
Who will win ? Who have biger chances to win :) ?

I assume when you say a dice game that you're referring to the game of craps. 

There are more ways for the dice to add up to six than there are for the dice to add up to four. and there are more ways for the dice to add up to six than there are for the dice to add up to five.    The player that has to roll 6-6-6 will likely win first.

Basic probability and The General are your friend.
(Now hiring minions, apply within.)

Bebediktus3

• 100+ posts Member
  • I can say something interesting about how to win..
  • Rated: +6
I assume when you say a dice game that you're referring to the game of craps. 
No that is a simple game when players in order throw dice and wait till will fall their combination - which combination is first - that is winner.

For me is very strange that peoples related to gambling not know this old task. I thought that will know here all :)

I hope at least Monty Hall problem know all ? :)
Not try to beat the game, much easier to beat the wheel...
Some peoples very not like, when I say how to win, or why they can't win.

maestro

• 1000+ posts member!
  • Rated: +64
666 gets a bit longer
Law of the sixth...<when you play roulette there will always be a moron tells you that you will lose to the house edge>

Bebediktus3

• 100+ posts Member
Want to hear something from few and will explain all... :)

Nickmsi

• 250+ posts Member
  • Rated: +16
The person that throws the dice FIRST will have a better chance of winning.
Don't give up . . . . .Don't ever give up.

Bebediktus3

• 100+ posts Member
No look after an equal amount of throws of course if one will throw 100 times but other 10 natural that 100 will win, but you not must be such dumbs to think this way... :)

Bebediktus3

• 100+ posts Member
So as promised, I will explain this task.
Pitty but looks that peoples did not know that task and to solve by individual forces they cant...

So the task is who has better chances first to collect his sequence. Better chances to collect sequences have that, who collect sequences from three different numbers!
The easiest way to understand why that is, in my opinion, is this - say is starting position when both players hit his first number (666) hit 6 and (456) hit 4. Try to calculate how many numbers lead to success if say we have limit 4 throws at all.

This way (666) player after first hit 6 has only one successful next throw - that is 6, if he in the second throw hits another number he cant collect his winning combination till 4th throw.

Now, look at  player (456)  he after first hit 4  he has two numbers which still leed to possible win that is 5 and wining combination will be 456x, but also can win after hitting 4 this way wining combination will be 4456. So this player can win in two ways [456x;4456] but the player  (666) only in one way [666x]. And player (456) in the next three throws after the first successful have better chances.
This way we can increase the number of throws and see that always player (456) have slight better chances to be first who collect his combination.

So here is some hint that nobody payss attention to the the task - that winner is that who is first :)

gorki

• Roulette Forum .cc | Member
  • Rated: +2
For each and ever spin, the odds are 1 in 37. The wheel doesnt give a crap which number is which. It doesn't care of the numbers are 8,8,8,8,8,8 or any other sequence of numbers.
CROATIA

Logical life

• Rated: 0
So as promised, I will explain this task.
Pitty but looks that peoples did not know that task and to solve by individual forces they cant...

So the task is who has better chances first to collect his sequence. Better chances to collect sequences have that, who collect sequences from three different numbers!
The easiest way to understand why that is, in my opinion, is this - say is starting position when both players hit his first number (666) hit 6 and (456) hit 4. Try to calculate how many numbers lead to success if say we have limit 4 throws at all.

This way (666) player after first hit 6 has only one successful next throw - that is 6, if he in the second throw hits another number he cant collect his winning combination till 4th throw.

Now, look at  player (456)  he after first hit 4  he has two numbers which still leed to possible win that is 5 and wining combination will be 456x, but also can win after hitting 4 this way wining combination will be 4456. So this player can win in two ways [456x;4456] but the player  (666) only in one way [666x]. And player (456) in the next three throws after the first successful have better chances.
This way we can increase the number of throws and see that always player (456) have slight better chances to be first who collect his combination.

So here is some hint that nobody payss attention to the the task - that winner is that who is first :)
Interesting .....

Popular pages: